Saturday, December 11

Thirsty person

Thirsty person


On the bank of the stream there was a high wall,
 painful thirsty person was on the top of the wall.
.
His obstacle for reaching the water was the wall;
He was in distress for the water, like a fish.


Suddenly he threw a brick into the water: 
the sound of the water came to his ear like spoken words.


The water was making a sound, that is to say, (it was crying), “Hey,
what is the advantage to you of this throwing a brick at me?”


The thirsty person said, “O water, I have two advantages:
 I will never give up from this work.


The first advantage is (my) hearing the sound of the water,
 which to thirsty people is music to their ears.


The other advantage is that, (with) every brick I tear off this (wall),
 I come (nearer) to running water.


Anyone is more thirsty on the top of  the wall,
He will tear off the bricks more quickly. 


Anyone is more love with the sound of the water,
He will tear off the bigger brick from the barrier.


Rumi


Translated by Fariborz  Arbasi

No comments: